What are the benefits of ISTQB Cerfitication?

The original question is answered here in Quora
Posted by Suresh P on Linkedin here 
Do we really need a certification in testing/any other area of expertise in general :
It is debatable. some Companies, developers and testers do not care about certifications,Having one will always be good.
Why do you need to be ISTQB certified?
You will learn most of the testing fundamentals and get introduced to lot of jargon in software testing field. It also provides a solid foundation of testing skills which we require through out our testing career.
Personally, I found it is very useful in learning different test design techniques that will help us in creating test cases with maximum coverage.
It will teach you on how to write good bug reports - This is very helpful for us, as testers, to communicate effectively with other departments without hurting them :) ( I some times hurt my developer and I was called bad ass test engineer, yet, Love my developers they keep me busy:) always
test planning, strategies , types of testing etc, every chapter introduces you to a thoughtful process of implementing testing planned and methodological way.
Note, I also came across rock stars in software testing with no testing certifications
What benefits I get from this certification :
As a test contractor, I have attended lot of interviews, my sweet memories in cracking interviews just because of ISTQB certification are :
One with Telecom major in Netherlands
Another one with Biggest oil company's offshore center in India.During the discussions, it was very clear to me that they have given points to certification as well.
I personally also see many advantages of certifications in securing training opportunities and freelance testing jobs :
I have got opportunities to train test engineers in Vietnam, South Africa and India as a freelance corporate trainer for ISTQB certifications.
Disadvantages of ISTQB certification?
Your friends /girl friend in testing may be jealous about you for earning more, otherwise I did not see any disadvantages of having certification.
Go ahead and get one and don’t forget to reimburse your certification fee from your company, if you are already working:)
Happy testing!

Comments

Popular Posts